W. H. (Curly) Russell (1906-1971) for Gordon Russell, a number of oak recliner armchairs, designed 1930, three re-upholstered in fawn leather, 89cm high (upright) Provenance: these were made for Overstrand Hall which was designed by Sir Edward Lutyens in 1899-1900. They date to when the hall was turned into a convalescent home in 1931-32. See 'R D Russell Marian Pepler' exhibition catalogue, London 1983, p. 5 for an illustration of the living room Lobden in 1932 with an example of this model of chair.
Curly Russell was not a family member he trained as a cabinet maker at Shoreditch College London under the tutorship of Percy Wells and joined the Russell workshops in 1924. In 1926 he moved from cabinet making into the drawing office as assistant to Gordon Russell and in 1934 he became the chief designer until his retirement in 1972.