Margaret Thomson Wilson (1864-1912), a pair of embossed copper and oak panels, signed 'MTW' in a square, 33cm x 27cm. Margaret Thomson Wilson was born in Cambuslang in 1864 and died suddenly in Glasgow in 1912. She enrolled as a student at the Glasgow School of Art in 1892 where she participated in a wide variety of disciplines but most particularly her emphasis was on repousse metalwork. She became a member of the Glasgow Society of Lady Artists from about 1893. In 1898 she exhibited at the People's Palace Inaugural Exhibition in Glasgow and from this point exhibited widely, mainly in paintings and metalwork until her death in 1912. A report in the Studio magazine of 1899 of 'The Glasgow School of Art Club' annual exhibition at the Fine Art Institute regarded her hammered brass as 'work of excellent quality'. Of the exhibition as a whole, it was reported 'no one interested can fail to observe in the best works of the School of Art Club a direct interogation of nature, a study of the refinements of line, a consideration of the exigencies of material, and an effort at expression in the design itself of the purpose of its creation'